Friday 23 November 2012

Traffic Light Scrolls (thermo-style)


I will happily admit that I am hopeless in the kitchen.  To the point where I have (on several occasions) been known to burn a pot of water!!  I've always liked the idea of cooking but just never really managed anything other than a good old spag bol or a meat and three veg type of meal!  I am pretty awesome at baking though, but I have to be honest and give most of the credit to Betty Crocker!

This week I have had so much fun with my new Thermomix.  It's like having a beautiful silk orchid in the window - no matter what you do, you just can't kill it!  I made these fabulously fun scrolls for the kids dinner one evening and they loved them.  They worked perfectly for lunch boxes the next day too.  So here's the recipe for those of you that fancy giving it a go - I PROMISE you won't go wrong!

Ingredients:
500g Bakers flour
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
20g oil (I used vegetable)
300g luke-warm water

1 carrot
1 courgette/zucchini
1/2 tin sweetcorn (you could also use frozen)
2 tbsp green pesto
1/2 red pepper/capsicum
cheese 

Starting with the dough: (I still can't get over how easy it is)

  • Add the flour, water, yeast, oil and salt into the thermomix bowl and mix on speed 5 for 5 seconds.
  • Set the lid to the 'closed lid position' and mix on interval speed for 1 minute and 30 seconds (yep, that's all).
perfect dough in less than 2 minutes!!
  • Take the dough out of the thermomix bowl and mould it for a few seconds and then wrap it up in your thermomat.  If you don't have one, 'cling film" will do the job just fine.  Let the dough rest somewhere at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to rise (I leave mine on top of the microwave) and it should rise to double its size.  I should say it WILL rise to double it's size.  Trust me, this recipe is fool proof because I didn't get it wrong.
You can even see me proudly taking a picture of my perfect dough ball!
The fillings are just as easy too.  As I'm doing traffic lights, I needed red, yellow and green, but really you could mix up anything you like!

Red
  • Pop your pepper into the thermomix, set your dial to speed 7/8 and "whizz whizz whizz" as Miss H says, for about 5 seconds.  Set aside in a bowl, give the thermomix bowl a quick rise with water and then proceed to 'yellow'
Yellow
  • Roughly chop your carrot into quarters (no need to peel it) and pop it in the Thermomix bowl with the sweetcorn and whizz whizz whizz!  Repeat as above.
Green
  • Roughly chop your courgette into quarters and repeat as above.  Once in a separate bowl add your pesto and give it a quick mix with your spoon.
This whole process should take you no more than 5 minutes, so you have plenty of time for a cup of tea or in my case a load of washing and a Kindergarden home reader, before you need to turn the oven on to 180 degrees to preheat.

The amount of time you whizz whizz whizz will determin the consistency of your veg.


Final Prep:
  • Roll out your dough and cut into three strips (the thermo-spatular does a great job of cutting dough)
  • On each strip spread a think layer of each colour and dust with a tiny bit of grated cheese.
  • Roll each strip up (like a swiss roll) and slice into approx. 2cm sections.
  • Lay each one on their sides on a baking tray.  Dust with another sprinkle of cheese and pop into the oven for approx. 25 minutes (or until golden brown)
  • Serve hot with a few carrot and cucumber sticks on the side (or a lovely salad but unfortunately my kids don't eat leaves!!)
Don't worry about being 'neat'.  Once they're cooked they look (and smell) beautiful.
Don't they look fab??
YUM!

So easy to prepare and the kids loved them!  Mr D was happy not have ham sandwiches in his lunchbox the next day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I LOVE hearing from you all and will do my best to reply xxx