Sunday 8 December 2013

Christmas Mince Scrolls - a slight twist to the more traditional Mince Pie (Thermomix Recipe)

Possibly not the prettiest looking scrolls but they were delicious!
I made the most DELICIOUS christmas fruit mince the other day.  It was so good I had to stop myself from eating it out of the jar with a spoon.  It was the first time I've ever made it and it was surprisingly easy - so much so that I don't think I'll ever buy mince pies again.

The kids are not huge fans of mince pies so this was really a treat for me.  I was all set to make my pies (with my special mince) when I saw a Jamie Oliver Christmas show on TV and he made scrolls instead of pies!!  Genius!  So I decided to be a bit of a copycat and make them too.  I do still want to make my pies but I think I'm going to have to wait just a little bit closer to Christmas otherwise I'll just eat them all - and then have to make them again!!!

Here's my recipe:  


Ingredients:
  • 500g apples (peeled and cored)
  • 1/2 orange (juice and rind)
  • 1/2 lemon (juice and rind)
  • 300g mixed fruit (raisons, sultanas, cherries etc)
  • 30g dried cranberries
  • 50g raw almonds
  • 30g butter
  • 50g brandy
  • 20g apple cider vinegar
  • 200g raw sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp mixed spice

Method:
  1. Put the orange and lemon rind into the thermomix and blitz it for about 10 seconds on speed 8/9.  Scrape the sides and repeat if you need to until it is very finely grated.  If you prefer it chunkier then use speed 5.
  2. Add  the juice of the orange and lemon, the apples and almonds.  Chop them on speed 5 for about 5 seconds until they are in quite small chunks.
  3. Add everything else and cook for 30 minutes on 100 degrees with reverse speed soft.
The smell in the kitchen is AMAZING and so Christmassy, you have to make it just for that. Once the mince is ready you can store it in sterilised jars or put it aside for your mince pies or scrolls (or just eat it as it is like me!!).

To make the scrolls all you'll need is the mince (of course) and a few sheets of puff pastry.  


Firstly pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.  Spread the fruit mince over the pastry sheet until it is completly covered and then roll it up like a long sausage.  You can use some beaten egg to help seal the ends together. 



Slice them up into 2-3cm sections (or bigger if you prefer) and arrange them on a baking tray facing upwards.  Sprinkle over some vanilla sugar over the top of them and bake for approx 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and the pastry has completely cooked through.


Serve with custard, cream, ice-cream or brandy butter or just eat them on their own. DELICIOUS!!

I've saved some of my mince so that I can make the more traditional mince pies with my mum when she arrives from London in two weeks!!  At least then there will be more than just me eating them.













You can also follow Mrs D plus 3 on facebook - twitter - instagram - Pinterest or sign up to my newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment. I LOVE hearing from you all and will do my best to reply xxx