Saturday 3 August 2013

A gluten free, nut free muesli bar that's great for lunchboxes

I have been trying to find the 'perfect' muesli bar recipe for some time now.  They're so good for lunch boxes or just a quick healthy snack.  I've been really put off by all the hidden sugars and nasties in the ones that you buy in the shops, that I am determined to make my own.  I have tried so many recipes that I've see online and I can never seem to get it right!

It's too buttery and sticky - the kids won't eat it.
Too nutty - the kids won't eat it
Looks yucky (Miss H's words) - the kids won't eat it
Too many raisins - the kids won't eat it
Too coconutty (Mr D is not a fan of coconut oil) - no one will eat them!!
Too crumbly and it falls apart - the kids won't eat it (and mummy hates the mess)
'What are those?' says at least one of them when pointing to a green pumpkin seed or something similar - yep, you got it, the kids won't eat it!!

FINALLY after a lot of trial and error and adding in some essential chocolate chips I seem to have found a winner!!  The mere mention of chocolate chips and all of a sudden there seems to be a bit interest.  I'm sure they would have liked some of the other ones I've made previously but I just couldn't even get them to try them!! "Why have you never made these before?" Master J asks!!  "I have", I thought, rolling my eyes, "you just wouldn't try them!!"

SO obviously chocolate it the secret ingredient!!  I can't blame them really - it must be a genetic thing???

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with these too.  They are lovely and moist, delicious, sweet but not too sweet and they don't crumble when you hold them!!  And they're ALMOST totally healthy!!

Lunchbox Muesli Bar - Gluten and Nut FREE

Ingredients:

65g brown rice
35g buckwheat
1 tbs chia seeds
1 pink lady apply
200g dried fruit (I used dates, apricots and cranberries)
30g butter
90g oats
30g desiccated coconut
2 tbs sunflower seeds
2 tbs brown sugar
70g white chocolate chips (optional)
50g manuka honey
2 large eggs
A handful of dark chocolate chips for decorating (optional)

*You could easily make this recipe dairy free too by leaving out the chocolate and replacing the butter with coconut oil.

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
  • Place the rice, buckwheat and chia seeds in the thermomix (or blender) and whizz on speed 9 for 30 seconds until it becomes a fine powder.  Set it aside in a separate bowl.
  • Place the apple in the thermomix (cored but not peeled) and whizz for 3 seconds on speed 6. Scrape down the sides and add all the dried fruit.
  • Set the thermomix to the closed lid position and hit the turbo button for 1 second.  Repeat three times until the fruit is all finely chopped.
  • Add the butter and chop for 3-5 seconds on speed 9 until it is well incorporated into the fruit.
  • Add all the remaining ingredients, including the rice/buckwheat powder and mix together on reverse speed 5 for 20-30 seconds.
  • Spread the mixture into a lined baking tray.  Decorate the top with chocolate chips and then put it into the oven for 15-20 minutes (or until golden brown on top).
  • Allow to cool and cut into squares or slices/bars and enjoy.


What's your favourite healthy lunchbox recipe??  I'm always after ideas.

9 comments:

  1. They look great Robyn. We really are on the same wavelength. I'm experimenting with homemade muesli bars today too. Hope mine turn out as well as yours. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they did!! I'm forever experimenting and most often than not they are a complete disaster but every now and again I get a good one!! I made a chocolate cake with chick peas today and it actually tasted really yummy. It was just very crumbling so I 'm going to have to try and figure out how to fix that! Trial and error in my kitchen. So looking forward to catching up at Pro Blogger xx

      Delete
  2. I have to start making stuff like that for kids - will save me so much money as the boys eat like horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish mine ate like horses!! They're such fussy little buggers, I'm forever lying about what ingredients I use!! "What's that thing there??" "Oh it's a chocolate chip - you'll love it" wink wink!! x

      Delete
  3. Hello, these look great and I have almost everything int he cupboards... just no buckwheat, wonder if I could use extra rice maybe... would I get buckwheat at the local health food shore?? Will try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my buckwheat in woolies - from the Macro section with all the seeds and nuts. I've actually had it in the cupboard for ages not really knowing what to do with it until now. I'm sure extra rice will do just fine. Hope the kids like them xxx

      Delete
  4. We've made these ones loads and they've always been well received at our place... http://www.danyabanya.com/2012/08/easy-recipe-healthy-sugarfree-gluten-free-Carrot-Sultana-Oat-Muffins-Muesli-Bar-Cakes-cook-with-your-toddler-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking for a recipe just like this!! Thank you! It will be great for in Dora's lunchbox

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe looks great, can't wait to try it out. Just a note - if you are coeliac and need to be strictly gluten free, oats are not considered gluten free. They contain a different type of 'gluten' but the majority of coeliacs can't have them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I LOVE hearing from you all and will do my best to reply xxx